Thursday 4 July 2013

COOK-O-PHOBE

Anyone who knows me would know that I am by no means a fantastic cook, but luckily I have a wonderful boyfriend who is, and he's here to hold my hand throughout the whole ordeal.

I suppose I would consider myself a slight cook-o-phobe. The thought of dicing, slicing and chopping all gets me a little bit flustered, give me a makeup brush over a cleaver any day.

So, with all that said, on tonight's menu is Chicken on a bed of Refried Beans with Sweet Potato Fries. An American themed dish for all you followers across the pond, Happy 4th July!
Wish me luck!

BBQ Sauce, What you'll need: 
  450ml water
  100g tomato puree
  1/2 cup cider vinegar
  1/4 tbsp butter
  1.1/2 small onions, sliced
  3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  3 tbsp spicy mustard
  2 tbsp honey
  1 tsp ground garlic
  1 beef stock cube
  1 tsp paprika
  2 tsp chili powder
  salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat pan on a medium heat, add butter to melt, sliced onions and ground garlic. Sauté and leave to brown. Once brown, add beef stock and water. Stir until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and leave to simmer for 15 minutes. Once ready, smother your grilled or pre-cooked chicken breast. 



Refried Beans, What you'll need:
 1/2 small onion, diced
 1 tbsp olive oil
  450g tinned kidney beans
 grated cheddar cheese to taste
 pinch of sugar

Sauté onions in olive oil till brown. Drain kidney beans and bring to the boil in 1.2ltr of water. Once boiled drain 95% of water and add remaining beans and water to onions. Mash until desired consistency, add cheese and sugar to taste. Cook time approx. 15 minutes. 


Sweet Potato Fries, What you'll need:
 2 tbsp of olive oil
  2 tbsp light soy sauce
 2 large sweet potatoes
 salt to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees with baking tray. Slice potatoes to desired thickness, measure out olive oil and soy sauce into tupperware and add sweet potato. Seal and shake. Add ingredients to baking tray and leave to cook for 30-40 minutes, till crispy. 



It looked nice but it tasted even better! Dinner was a success and I may even cook more often.


2 comments:

  1. Wowwww I love your post!!! Many kisses from Andalucía!!!

    http://tecuentomistrucos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Success, indeed. Those sweet potato fries look deeee-lish and simple enough to make. Thanks for sharing!
    Loi

    ReplyDelete